Saturday, June 3, 2017

Santa Cruz 2

Two years ago I ran in "Surfer's Path" run.  It has a marathon, half-marathon, and relay.  I, of course, chose the half-marathon.

Two days before the event I came down with a virus.

It took over 2 hours and 4 minutes to complete - not good.

This year I decided to run it again.

I've already documented my training woes in previous posts.  With my left foot bugging me still, I probably wasn't running at my peak performance.

On the day of the race I forgo my running watch, leaving me clueless about my running time.  I decide that I want to finish strong, and was determined to find a solid, but not totally brutal pace.  I also figure I will look for somebody to pace me.

In the Merced half I found somebody to follow that seem to be holding a good pace and yet pushed me to keep up with them.  I followed them for most of the race, but pushed past them when they stopped at the last rest stop about 2 miles from the finish.  It paid off, I knocked ~5 minutes off of my half-marathon PR.

On Saturday, after picking up my race bib and goodie bag, we took a cruise from Capitola to Santa Cruz.  I got to see all the hills and realized, no way, not going to PR here.

We found a nice restaurant on the boardwalk.  I had my usual pre-race dinner of pasta and shared a bottle of wine with my support team (my wife).


I got up at 5 am for the race.  I had bought some bottled, organic cold coffee.  I ate a Clif bar while drinking my coffee.


At the start line I did some warming up and active stretching.  I saw a fellow runner from my hometown.  He was going to run the full marathon.  We wished each other a good run and ambled off to do some more warming up.

At the start, people walked until they actually got to the start line.  I guess they didn't want to run anymore than they had to.  The running started off at a very easy pace and I just went with it for a while.  Then gaps opened up and I started moving forward.  A quarter of the way in and I had plenty of room.

I didn't feel like I was pushing myself until the last 3 miles.  Even then I was consciously pacing, not working to hard to catch people who might pass me.  My left toe nail started hurting - uh oh!  I new I should have cut them before the race.

I didn't really find a solid pacer.  Those last 3 miles there were ~4 different people I followed.  Coming into the finish, the pacing paid off, and I was able to sprint to the finish.  Nobody passed me in that last instant, and I passed several.  Very satisfying.  I'm going to lose that toe nail though - bummer.

I finished in 1 hour 49 minutes flat, at an 8:19 pace, placing 15th out of 55 finishers in my age group.  I could do better, but I'm happy with this for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...