Sunday, May 7, 2017

Operation Luttich

Yesterday I finally ran the Mortain scenario.  There was a lot to set-up.  There was a lot to explain.  I forgot to mention some things.  The game got off to a bumpy start.  The terrain was frustrating for both sides, but particularly for the Germans.  Historically correct, but perhaps not making for the best game.  Also 9 people might have been too many.

Still the display pleased me to no end.

Some photos:

The 120th and 117th in the vicinity of Mortain, the Abbey and in Barthelemy.


The Germans do some Aerial recon.


Romagny

The 117th in and around Barthelemy


The 120th on hill 314 and 285.  Their Heavy weapons company is backwards.

Birks on the hill


The Germans arrive


An assault on the Abbey with Panzer IV (F2s serving as Hs)




Panthers attempt to force their way through to Mortain and get close assaulted.  With no Infantry support, they were destroyed.


Panzer IVs moving through Mortain on their way to Romagny


The American 3rd armored division CCB says no..



The "Lost Battalion" is cut-off, but continues to hold hill 314.


Things look grim for the 117th as German forces approach and spotting rounds land.


American Air Support arrives..


The Germans push through Barthelemy



The 119th moves up through the Apple Orchard to support the 117th


















The 119th holding Juvigny.  Edwin Sutherland is on the hill.


General Hobbs is concerned




General der Panzertruppe Funck looks on



The rules were a hybrid of Pulse of Battle:WW2, Oman, and Panzer Korps, Granillo.
They need some stream lining, and I'm thinking of going away from the sequence deck entirely.  I like that both rule systems use the d4-d12 combat system.  I like the general readability of PoBs combat charts.  I like the Battalion assets from Panzer Korps.

I have it that each company shoots as in PoB.  The player then decides which company gets a bonus from their Heavy Weapons stand.  Having Armor assets in Infantry battalions give certain bonuses, and AT guns also have advantages, but their immobility is problematic.  I'm not a big fan of wall to wall trucks and half-tracks, so I use single stands to represent the Infantry battalions transport assets.







3 comments:

  1. Great board.

    I own PK and am having a tough time making it through the book, let alone playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you said Oman's rules as well. I've played one game with those and enjoyed it. I haven't heard of the other set.

    Man tinkering with rules is the mainstay of our hobby, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Panzer Korps is coming out in a 2nd edition soon from what I've heard. Never really played them, just use a few ideas. I'm probably going to move away from card activation systems for awhile. I'm looking for ways to further stream line play for my gaming group.

    ReplyDelete

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...