Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Training and Shakes

Running

Today 7 miles at a 10.17 minute pace.  Better than my half-marathon pace, but still not going to allow for any sub 2 hour times.

My current training schedule:
Day Activity Miles
Monday Rest 0
Tuesday Intervals 3.2
Wednesday Pace 7.08
Thursday Intervals 3.2
Friday Recovery 9.84
Saturday Cross Train 3
Sunday Long Run 13.34
   Total 39.66

Every fourth week it will look like this:
Recovery Week
Day Activity Miles
Monday Rest 0
Tuesday Intervals 3.2
Wednesday Pace 4.8
Thursday Intervals 3.2
Friday Recovery 7.08
Saturday Cross Train 3
Sunday Long Run 10.5
    31.78
According to this article I should be set for training for any of the race distances I am interested in.

A couple of days ago during the long run I was left in the dust (no surprise there) by a couple of runners shorter than me and with stride length comparable to mine.  I was in mile 12 and had nothing left to give in terms of trying to keep up, still it was a good lesson in the importance of stride frequency.

With a 28ish inseam I don't have stride length, never will, but I can work on frequency.  Wednesdays are going to be focused on this aspect of running, while my interval training will work on my stride length.  I hate interval training.

Culinary

I don't have much to report here.  Tonight I will be using the smoked pork to make potato au gratin.

Concerning the protein shake:  I recently found Chia seeds in my local grocery store.  And having read "Born to Run" I decided to give them a try in my protein shake.

My protein shake recipe:
3/4cup fruit juice (usually Orange Juice - Simply Juice)
1/2 cup of non fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon chia seeds
2 teaspoons sugar
23 grams of whey powder
200 grams for frozen fruit
2 baby carrots
4 ice cubes
All of this is blended in my Vitamix mixer.

I'm not really sure the Chia seeds added much, but now that I bought them I feel obligated to use them.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should run in platform shoes? That would make your legs longer. Of course, you'd likely break your neck as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, Thanks for the comment! I only wear platform shoes inside.

    ReplyDelete

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...