Tuesday, July 22, 2014

13 miles after Beer

Running

On Sunday I ran 13.34 miles according to http://www.runningmap.com/

I finished in 2 hours and 29 minutes putting me at a very slow 11 minute and 17 second mile. 

So you see I'm slow.  I just started this running about a year ago, just shy of my 49th birthday.  So guess which birthday is just around the corner?  That doesn't make me late to the party, particularly if you compare me to Joy Johnson.  I really have no intentions of running a marathon, but I could do a half marathon, if I can get my time down to less than 2 hours.

Perhaps I should have called my blog slow runner?

Culinary

Beer Day!

I made beer on Saturday!  Ten gallons of what I am sure will be an amazing Belgian Ale.  Here are some recipe notes:
12 pounds of Western Pale Ale Malt
9 pounds of Munich Malt
1 pound of 10L Crystal Malt
1 pound of torrified wheat
1 pound of Abbey malt (aromatic malt)
1.5 pounds Moreno Raw sugar
2 ounces of Santiam Hop pellets at 60 minute boil (8.2% Alpha Acids)
0.75 ounce Tettnanger Hop pellets at 15 minute boil (6.1% Alpha Acids)
0.8 ounces of fresh Chinook Hop flowers from garden
Zest from Meyer Lemons from garden
0.1 ounce of Mace
Two 1.6 Liter starters of Belgian Golden Ale Yeast WLP 570
Conversion efficiency was low for me at 75%.

Some Pictures - My rig

The Mash with sparge ring.

The Wort, clear and sweet.

Curing Pork

So I went ahead and cured the rest of the ham (See here).
Here are the photos - me stuffing the meet into a 100mm casing and wrapping with twine.


 
All wrapped up and weighed out to track drying.  The goal is 70% of this weight.  I will also be using a mold culture to coat the outside in hopes of fending off the not so friendly molds I have had trouble with in the past.
 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...