Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A faster time, sausage, ragu, and pasta

Running

This week is my "rest week," where I dial down my miles by at least 80%.  I've also decided to limit myself to one interval run which of course is greatly disappointing to me, myself and I.  So to replace today's 3.2 mile interval training session I decided to go out for my comfortable 5k+ stretch through the neighborhood.  It's 5k+ because it is 3.28 miles and not 3.1 miles.

However, instead of taking a nice easy "rest week" pace, I tried to go all out.  I finished in 30 minutes and 21 seconds, which puts me at a little under 9 minutes and 16 seconds pace.  That is faster than my previous record and so I will take it.  Still, a little part of me is disappointed that I haven't broken the 9 minute barrier.  Perhaps the 40+ mile weeks and interval training is paying off, but I really need to give it more time and be patient.  Breaking into the 8's is a 5 year plan after all.

At the end of the run I came home to this on my window:
A quick search on Google turns up its species name as ...Stagmomantis californica. Who doesn't think Praying Mantises are awesome?

Culinary

I took out a package labeled "Trimmings" from the remaining packages of the Gloucester Old Spot a couple of days ago.  Today I seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and a little bay leaf.  The plan is to run it through the grinder on Saturday and cook it to form the basis for a ragu.  I will match this up with some fresh pasta.

When I first made fresh pasta I did all by hand, rolling, cutting, no machines.  My wife seeing my enthusiasm bought me a "pasta machine."  It was an extruder type pasta maker and I made several batches always trying to perfect my pasta.  The machine always gave our pasta a "feathered" surface and I didn't care for it all that much.  One day in the need for more cabinet space in my old house, it took a walk.

The current pasta machine, given to me by my wife (I think she likes my pasta) is a Marcato and looks like this:
However, the cutter is a bit finicky and I often have to separate the noodles by hand.  I've been looking for a good pasta rolling pin and thanks to a youtube video found this:
Pefecto!  Here is the youtube video, awesome technique and sooo easy!
I should have guessed it was Ruhlman.  If you want to know about curing meat, he has two great books out:
And ...
The rolling pin will have to wait as I will be using the machine the roll the dough out, but I will be cutting by hand using the Ruhlman technique.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...