Sunday, August 9, 2020

Too much time on my hands

Running

Back in 2014 was when I first tried heart rate training.  I didn't really post any data or analysis.  Fortunately, Garmin Connect has my back.

I was obviously trying to keep my heart rate below 130.  My cadence was less than 180, which it never is these days, and I'm still just as slow as back then.

This time around, I started by trying to figure out my maximum heart rate, and then using zones based on that value.  First, I wanted a new Heart Rate Monitor.

I figured a Garmin Heart Rate monitor would provide the fewest technological hitches for my Garmin Forerunner 735XT watch.  I turned off the wrist optical heart rate monitor because it is crap.  The optical monitor kept telling my my max heart rate was 180-190 bpm (beats per minute), and kept setting my zones based on that value.  Using the chest strap, and some fast finish long runs, I managed to cap my heart rate at 171bpm.  That is some hard running, and I can't be 100% sure that this value is my true maximum.  I've read articles that say don't even try to determine your maximum heart rate as it can trigger a cardiac event, aka "heart attack!"

So I tried using the 171bpm anyways, and keeping 80% of my miles in "Zone1/2."  Hah!  That is some stupidly slow ass running.  Zone 2 is 70% of maximum heart rate, and that is 120bpm. I'm supposed to do this for months, and then my pace should magically start to improve, even as my heart rate remains in the same zones.  

Two absolute rules for my running:

1. Don't do it, if it sucks the joy out of running.

2. Don't do it, if it results in injury.

This really slow running was violating rule #1.  Also, upon reflection, this whole % of maximum heart rate seemed too arbitrary.  I don't doubt that maximum heart rate is a hard physiological fact, and that the central governor (my brain) monitors that shit.  So truly easy running, which is what 80% of my running miles per week should be, must be some fraction of maximum heart rate.

Hold up.  Isn't 80% of weekly miles in the "easy" zone also rather arbitrary?  Ah, but when I run too many hard miles in a week, then I violate rule #2 above.  The 80/20 rule has never gotten me injured, and therefore, it is canon law for my running.

A little more research, aka "Googling," turned up Lactate Threshold Heart Rate.  This is the heart rate that correlates to when your body is producing more lactate than it can clear for a given effort.  Increased heart rate is the "effect" not the "cause" of increased lactate load.  Lactate builds up due to anaerobic respiration in muscle.  Heart muscle never uses anaerobic respiration.  Turns out there is an actual setting on your watch that you can change in Garmin Connect to make your watch record data based on percentage of Lactate Threshold Heart Rate. 

This number made a lot more sense to me as a value to measure "effort."  The brain, along with cells in all my organs could monitor/respond to changes in lactate level in the blood.  It should be a much more precise and nuanced molecular marker for the whole body, as opposed to heart rate.  

It was also a lot easier and safer to determine this number by just running all out for 30-60 minutes.  Actually, Garmin already had calculated it for me based on all the crazy ass running I had been doing over the years.

Finally, the values were a lot more doable and in line with what I perceived as easy running.  I could now take my heart rate up to 132bpm, and still stay in Zone 2.

So then, why use a heart rate monitor if I can just run by feel?  Actually, I'm still using the heart rate monitor, because I still have a tendency to go too fast as my runs get longer.  My heart rate goes above 132bpm. This is particularly true on my long runs.

Running Goals

I don't have any races to train for.  I'm keeping it safe, distant, so no races.  I started the year trying to just run 2 hours a day.  That burned me out (see rule #1 above).  I did get a lot of bulk miles done, and this puts me in striking distance of 2500 miles for the year.  So, that is the goal.  I'm still averaging 50 miles a week.  Once I hit 2500 miles, my plan is to take a 2 week break from running.

Culinary

Retired, lots of time on my hands, more than I anticipated due to world wide circumstances.  So, I've done a lot of baking.

Chocolate bread.


Sooooo yummy!
 With raisins and nuts.


Cinnamon roll bread.



Lots of pizza.


Downsizing, resulted in me getting rid of all my specialized pizza gear.  No more pizza stone, paddle, board.  I've adapted using these aluminum pans.  I've made 600 and  800 gram dough for my pizza.  Although not as crisp on the bottom (yet) it has been a lot less messier, and still very delicious.  I'm just wondering why I didn't do it this way years ago.

Pancakes, and just some ... bread.

About the pancakes.  I discovered on Youtube a video where this guy would pour off his sourdough starter, unaltered to make pancakes with.  I tried this, but pushed some blueberries in there.  I cooked them in butter, sprinkled some salt on them when done, added maple syrup, and...Awesome!  It is the best way to manage my sourdough starter ever!

The move to the Pacific Northwest has changed my sourdough culture.  It survived the move easily, but over the last few months has become more truly sour, not just "wild."  I don't mind it, but I do need to be mindful, so that my bread doesn't become too sour.

My cooking hasn't been all baking.  I did manage to put together a nice chicken terrine.




1 comment:

  1. I've been doing a lot of hiking and the Garmin Watch never seems to give an accurate read out for heart rate. Too low. If used while riding it seems about the same as the chest strap and bike computer readings. Nice looking terrine. I've been wanting to make one for the last few New Years but always seem too busy, Maybe I need to pick another holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...