Sunday, August 20, 2017

A day of ...

...culinary adventures.

I realized I hadn't posted much on this topic lately, and yet there are days when it seems most of my time is spent on stuff I plan to eat or drink.  August 19th was such a day.

Time to make Kimchi.  Once I have some Napa cabbage, I then look around for what I can add.


















Garden peppers (the purple and tiny red thai peppers), some cilantro, onions (red and yellow),  and garlic (of course).

Everything chopped/grated, and seasoning ready to go.  Don't forget the fish sauce!


Time to get my hands dirty mixing it all together.  Wash hands immediately after because those thai peppers are hot!



Let sit for an hour and then pack into a jar.



It could have used my fermentation crock, but it all fit in here, and the ceramic pie beads did the trick of holding all down.  I will taste tomorrow on my afternoon omelet, but it won't really hit its stride for a week.

Need to subculture my English Ale yeast and get a starter for next day brewing session.


Then time to check the pork I have curing in the curing chamber.


Not dry enough yet.  It has only been two weeks, probably 1-2 weeks more should do it.  The Penicillium nalgiovense is getting started which is good.  All three pieces came from a ham that I butchered.  The pork is of from a free range Berkshire pig.

Time to transfer that Belgian from two weeks ago.  I take my quality control very seriously and monitor the beer at each stage of its development.


My turn to make dinner.  T-bone steaks from a free range Dexter cow.


Normally I would dry age a couple of days, but I had to rush this one a bit.  Still the hickory chips and seasoning did it justice.  Sides were garlic mash potatoes with a cheddar-sour cream mix, and broccoli for the veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...