Friday, November 21, 2014

The Monterey Half Marathon

Our journey begins on a bright and sunny morning, Saturday, November 15, 2014.  I'm pretty excited. My wife is wonderfully supportive.   This will be my first race with actual chip timers.  So we drink our caffeinated drinks, pack for an overnighter and head out the door.  Not having had breakfast, we stop in San Juan Bautista.
I looked for a happy Rooster...
Who knew roosters liked orchids?

The restaurant was supposed to be Italian, but having no prosciutto, I went with the chorizo with eggs.

We continued on and found our hotel.
Clean, serviceable and walking distance to the race start (15 minutes), fisherman's wharf (10 minutes), and the fun part of town.  I wouldn't choose it again, and there will be an again.

We checked in and then started walking to find the race start, and time ourselves.  We also identified the local caffeinated beverage supply that will be open in time for the race.
I was hoping to support local business, but none of them opened early enough.  All that walking required refueling.
I also picked up my bib number and swag bag.
I had hoped to surprise my wife with reservations to dinner that I made weeks earlier when I booked the room, but the restaurant called me while we were walking and she heard.  Still she didn't know where we were having dinner.  I told her it was on fisherman's wharf.  She then tried to guess which restaurant it was as we strolled the wharf and watched these mammals for a bit.
The sunset was also quite pleasing.
We went to dinner at Old Fisherman's Grotto.  My wife went with local fish (Sea Bass?).
I had a cup of their famous clam chowder - it was quite good.  I carb loaded in style with a seafood combo linguine plate.
In the evening I added the bib number to my running shirt.
The morning started at 5 am.  I set my phone alarm, but also arranged for a wake up call.  I always try to have a back-up, and it paid off as my phone did not go off.  I forget to set it for Sunday, instead it was set to go off on Monday.  For breakfast I had a bagel with cream cheese and a cup of English breakfast tea.  I'm used to loose leaf tea steeped using a stainless steel strainer.  The Starbuck"s tea tasted like the cardboard and paper it was served in.  Last call at the restroom.

We arrive at the race start and I find my corral.
I'm not sure how they assign corrals.  Was it based on my reported expected finish time (2 hours and 30 minutes)?  Or was it based on when I registered?  If it was based on finish time, then I will do better next time.
The start horn sounds.
My wife did a great job of getting running photos.  They charge crazy prices for the ones the half marathon photo people take.
My wife amuses herself while I'm running.
She makes it over to Cannery row as the slow finishers are coming in.
I really did this race just for the sea otter medal, the oatmeal cookie and the beef jerky.
2 hours, 7 minutes, and 4 seconds.
114th out of 282 in my age-gender group
1286 out of 2987 for gender
2553 out of 8905 in race
That puts me firmly in the first 50% of the pack, which was a goal.
Also my time goal was a sub 2 hour 10 minute, so I'm good there.  Next year I hope I can nail a sub 2 hour marathon.  I really appreciated all of the cheering people of Monterey, and beyond.  I thought the aid stations were well placed to supply us with water.  However, drinking out of a cup while running was a bit of a challenge.

I am most grateful to my wife for supporting this new craze of mine that I'm not actually that good at.  Still, I love running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...