Sunday, November 23, 2014

The 60+ mile week

Running

So you would think, having just finished putting my all out for the Monterey Half, that I would take it easy the following week.  You would think.

I took Monday off.  I was sore and Monday is my usual rest day.  

Once you have an official time you can enter that time into any number of websites and they will tell you things like predicted finish times for other races, pace time for training, and how to assemble an engine - uh, perhaps not that last one.  I went to the Jack Daniels running calculator.
I kept looking for the Whiskey links so I could order something.
So Tuesday I go for an "Easy" 60 minute run.
Wednesday I do repetition work but ignore Jack's advice and break into 7 and even high 6 minute miles.  I did a second "Easy" run for 6.3 miles.  It wasn't easy, my legs were tired.
Thursday is my day off, but I ignored that and ran on the Treadmill intervals, with 11:32 and 8:57 splits.  I held the faster sub-9 time for 10 minutes during one interval.
I did my usual 2 hour run on Friday.
Saturday I put in 7.3 miles meaning...that is I ran 16 miles or more on Sunday I would hit 60 miles for the week.
I decided to put in a 3 hour run today.  I hadn't done one in awhile.  The last time I ran for 3 hours I clocked more than 17 miles.  My secondary goal was to run it at my "Marathon" pace above which should net me 18+miles.

To put this amount of running into perspective let us consider much faster runners than me.  Tia Stone is an amazing amateur runner who can hold sub-6 minute miles in a 5 kilometer race and a personal record (PR) of just under 3 hours for a marathon.  Based on her Half Marathon PR, Jack says her easy pace is around 8 minute miles.  If she ran the ~10.5 hours just using easy pace (unlikely as she would mix in speedwork and tempo runs), she would run at least 80 miles.  Elite runners running 6 minute "Easy" miles would run over 100 miles a week, although they often actually train in the 120-140 mile per week range.  Still, I think this will be my time limit on running.

So at the end of the day I hit 18.09 miles in 3 hours and 4 minutes, more distance then I had ever run before in a single run.  I was unable to hold my Marathon pace due to the excessive wind.  I was hoping that since my running path was a loop that I would make the time up by running half the time with the wind.  However, the dehydration or exertion kicked the stuffing out of me.  My total miles for the week exceed 62 miles, another milestone (pun).

My legs hurt - I'm definitely taking it easy next week.

Culinary

My wife made tomato sauce from this summer's tomatoes and froze it:
We always get a bolus of peppers at the end of the growing season:

We often take bones from various dinners like, smoked chicken, smoked pork, and ribs from rib roasts to save for making beans.  It is usually proceeded with a: "this will be good in beans!"

The accumulation was getting out of hand, so I took all of these bits from the freezer and cooked them all day long.  The broth was thick with gelatin.  I saw a pork meniscus, but sadly took no photos.  I cooked some pintos in this broth.  They must be old pintos because they take 4 hours to become tender.

I also found some sausage left overs that I made.?  This got cooked in a skillet with onions, garlic, basil, rosemary, sage, oregano, cumin, white pepper, "New Mexico" hot chilipowder, and some left over tomato sauce that smelled of chicken cacciatore.  I then added the frozen tomato sauce and meat bits from the bone.
  The best frickin chili I have ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...