Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Conversations with my Left Leg

So I need to record an event.  I ran 15,2 miles in 1 hour and 28 minutes.
Why does this matter?  I averaged a sub 10 minute mile.
So?  You did that with the 12.7 mile run.  Yes, but this was longer and...

My right hip and my left leg have been troublesome since the sub 10 minute pace, 12.7 mile run.  I started asking myself: "Why are you wearing a hydration belt with two water bottles when there are drinking fountains on my route?"  The belt was aggravating my hip.  So I ran the 15.2 miles without my hydration belt, stopping to get drinks of water.  So even with stopping I managed an average sub 10 minute pace.  I also discovered a new stride, where by leaning forward I could hit an hold a sub 9 minute mile pace for awhile.  I got my first sub 9 minute/mile pace (8:50) during mile 13.  I ended those 15.2 miles feeling pretty strong and like I could run more miles.

Okay, but what about the left leg?  Yeah, my left extensor digitorum longus has been barking at me even on slower runs.  It cramps up and I even almost fell during one of these episodes.  I thought maybe I would try to do speedwork all the way until 10 days before the Monterey half marathon.  My left calf convinced me otherwise and I stuck with the original decision to run the 2 weeks before the race using slow Maffetone miles (where I keep my heart rate below 135).  Even on these miles my calf was complaining.

Me: "Hey, why are you cramping up?  It's only mile 2 and I'm running really slow here."
Left Leg: "Don't want to run."
Me: "Sorry, we need to run."
Left Leg: "And what will you do if I decide to quit on you?"
Me; "Oh please, just settle down and run, it really isn't that fast."
Left Leg: "Run slower."
Me: "How about that?"
Left Leg: "Slower"
Me: "Okay, how about now...Hey!  We're walking."
Left Leg: "Finally, you get the picture."
Me: "No way, back to running."

After, about mile 3-5, my left leg settles into a grumpy, resentful, truculent, reasonable pace.  Running this slow is very boring, but I am determined to be in good shape for the race.  I am very tempted to explore that sub-9 pace, but that will have to wait for afterwords and maybe become my goal for the Santa Cruz half marathon.

Culinary

I bought a "Dry British Ale Yeast."  After a summer of sweet under attenuated Belgian beers, I'm ready for something lighter.  I brewed a bitter.
Please don't boil over.
Bitters aren't actually bitter.  They are characterized as "Session" beers that are quite easy to drink.  I bought  8 ounces of Kent Golding hops to make a traditional British bitter.  The next beer in the series will be an American style, almost pale ale like as I showcase Simcoe hops.
 Cordless drills are so useful for taking hose clamps off and putting them back on.  The white pill is "Whirlfloc" for removing cloudiness.  It lies on top of the finishing hops and next to the flavor hops, all Kent Golding.  The efficiency for sugar conversion was greater than 85% just as I predicted.
 Hmmm, phone taking random picture of drive way.
 Bucket with spoon and volume measuring stick.  I put the spent grains in the green waste, or my own compost bin.  The hose is connected to my counter current wort chiller from Blichmann.
 Ahh, pure, cooled and clean wort being added to the yeast starter.
 I found this 2000 Barolo Reserva sitting in my wine rack, it was full when I opened it, but not for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...