Friday, October 26, 2018

New Diet?

So I got this book for Kindle:
It motivated me to buy a new scale that measures body fat.
It turns out I'm at around 11% body fat.  I think I can get it down below 10%.  At least that is my goal.

So out goes intermittent fasting.  I felt sluggish on my hard runs, weak in the weight room, and I was getting cold much more easily than in the past.  Out went white rice, and at least for now, alcohol.

My electric pressure cooker makes brown rice as quick as white rice.  Its assertive flavor also doesn't encourage eating a lot of it.  I'm trying to go to bed hungry (just a little).  It's only been a couple of weeks but I'm already down to 10.7%.

Getting used to eating in the morning has not been too bad.  The pre-run fruit or potato, followed by an after run bowl of old fashioned oatmeal has kept me in good fettle.  I don't put sugar in the oatmeal, but I do add raisins, walnuts, and milk.

My afternoon salad remains unchanged and fits well into the diet parameters.  Holding back to single servings for dinner has been more difficult, and boy do I miss beer.  The race is November 10, and then we shall see.

Running wise things have been going pretty well.  The 80/20 plan is nifty in that there is enough variation to keep it interesting.  I've only modified it with a few (10-12) treadmill hill sprints after the Monday run during my weight lifting.  I waited for week 4 to do this since the first 3 weeks had some hill training.  Short intervals have crested into 6s, but I doubt I can hold that for 5 kilometers.
I don't subscribe to the low fat part of the diet.  Reading the book, it seems Mr. Fitzgerald is just catching up on the research concerning fats - he now allows whole milk since it is less processed.  My blood pressure is in good shape, and I've started to ease a little more salt back into my diet, a little with the oatmeal, and with some of the meats I prepare for dinner.

Like beef rump roast:
Smoked Pork belly:
Salmon - smoked of course:
Today I pulled out the last of the Berkshire pork trimmings to make a terrine.
I folded the onions, crushed garlic, mushrooms, bell peppers, and celery into the pureed meat.
Done with puree and folding, now slapping into a pan:
I cooked this in the usual water dish placed in a pan at 280 degrees Fahrenheit. 
Out of the oven, with weight in place and ready for the refrigerator.
 I poured off the extra "juice" and put in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Sliced and ready to be enjoyed.  

In retrospect, I should have wrapped it in the Berkshire smoked pork belly, aka - Bacon!

2 comments:

  1. You're pretty thin already, is this necessary? I'm sure that thinner is better for running, but then again, you need strength. I don't know. I'm not a fan of restrictive diets. Part of that comes from having a very overweight mother who was always on a diet, and part from having a daughter fight her way through anorexia...so maybe I'm hyper-sensitive to it all. I say, do what feels right. If this feels right, esp if it is temporary in support of your race, go for it. If it starts to get in the way of enjoying life long term, I say let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, Before this diet I didn't eat until 12pm. Now, I have a pre-run fruit, and a post-run breakfast. I drink protein shakes while I'm strength training. All I've done is eliminated empty calories, and reduced my dinner portion. It would be nice if my overall weight went down, but it is not my goal. My focus is percentage body fat. Thanks for the comment and the concern.

    ReplyDelete

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...