Friday, February 5, 2016

Changes



My running is changing.
I used to run as many as 70+ mile weeks.  I've stopped that.  I dropped down to running 60 mile weeks on occasion, and now I'm in the 49-53 mile range.  I've decided to reduce the amount of running to get more of my life back for other activities, and because I'm not actually training for a marathon.  I run half marathons.  Fifty miles a week is plenty for half marathon training.

I've also dropped 16.5 mile long runs.  Hansen's half marathon book suggests 14 mile long runs, every other week or so.  I have a route that does 13.8 miles.  I like that.  I'm thinking every other week I will run it with the goal of finishing in under 2 hours.  If I can manage that, then I will always be able to run my races in under 2 hours.  That would be sufficient.

Insert Long Blogging Break Here

So I started this post many months ago.  In that time David Bowie died, and I started carrying a water bottle on my runs instead of relying on the water fountains along the canal.  I'm sad about David.  I'm able to change up where I run.  I've done a couple of 16 mile runs.

I started taking peanut butter cookies with mini-chocolate chips on my runs.


Probably not the healthiest running food, but it sure is motivating.  The recipe is basically your classic peanut butter cookie with mini-chocolate chips mixed in.  I also beef up the salt slightly for salt replacement during the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...