Sunday, October 5, 2014

Running for time and smoking turkey

Running

I wasn't sure what to call this post.  I used to run for miles.  I was striving to maintain 50+ miles a week based on the notion of more running equals faster running.  I got impatient, strained something in my right leg and had to rethink.

I decided rather than run for miles I would run for time.  I would try to keep my heart rate under 130 beats per minute (bpm), forget about distance, and focus on time running.  I thought my ultimate goal would be 90 minutes on Wednesday, 2 hours on Friday, 2.5 hours on Saturday, and 3 hours on Sunday.  I'm not sure I can get the Saturday run in there with two long runs on either side of it, so for now Saturday will be a fun run.

How did my recovery running go this week?
DatesMTuWThFSaSuTotal
9/29-10/502.542.56.355.359.2229.92

These miles mean nothing now.  I actually ran on the treadmill on Tuesday for 30 minutes, Wednesday for 1 hour, and didn't run at all on Thursday.  I ran for 1 hour on Friday.  I did elliptical on Saturday for 1 hour and ran for 3 hours and 5 minutes on Sunday!  I worked on keeping my heart rate at 130 bpm, not always successfully, but for the majority of these work outs.  The right leg feels strong and I will stick with this timing-heart-rate plan until after the Monterey Marathon.

Culinary

I smoked a turkey!  It was hard fitting the papers around it...

The technique I used was pretty much the same detailed in Running off the pork.  Well, I didn't add any wood chips to minimize smoke.  It cooked in less time also, only 8 hours or so.

I cured the turkey in a 1.5% salt rub with 0.75% raw sugar, a little Oregano, Garlic powder, California chili powder, fresh Rosemary, and fresh Sage.  It was in the cure for 5 days, and the turkey turned each day.  I rinsed the turkey well before cooking.  I caught all of the drippings and made a gravy.  The gravy went over rice.  I cooked some green beans with garlic, basil and olive oil for the veggies.

My son thought it was too salty, but I thought it came out great!  Sorry, no pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I brined a turkey once, and I'm sorry to say that it tasted too salty to me. And not any better than the regular turkey that was also served that day (we have 2 turkeys on Thanksgiving, as there are 12 of us and we want leftovers for everyone). So no more basting for me. Smoking, though, that's an interesting method, and I'll bet it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it wasn't a brine. A cure you have complete control over the amount of salt you add, so 1%, 0.5%, whatever works for you. I have two accurate gram scales for both the small stuff (salt) and large stuff (turkey).

    ReplyDelete

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...