Sunday, January 20, 2019

Of Spelt, the Painting Table, and Training

First post of the new year, hopefully I can manage at least one per month this time.

Running

I just finished the third week of training for the Silicon Valley Half-Marathon.  Pace has been good, but recently my right hip started acting up, so perhaps I am pushing too hard.  I will eliminate doubles until it gets (hopefully) better. 

Some sub-8 miles during a 3 mile tempo run:
Today I managed an 8:05, 7:53, and an 8:03.  All have so far been under the 8:12 pace called for in Hanson's.  I've modified Hanson's.  The tempo runs fall on Sundays if the plan calls for an easy run that day.  On Friday I run short repeats and do hill sprints.  Wednesday remains devoted to interval/strength training.  On weeks were a "Long Run" of moderate pace is called for, I will move tempo to Friday and find somewhere else to fit hill sprints in.  So far 150 miles for the three weeks.

Culinary

I've recently picked up some Whole Spelt flour.  I resurrected my Levain and made some pizza with it.  

 My son was home for dinners, so ham and pineapple was a must.  Even Poppy was interested.

 I cured and smoked a pork loin.  Sadly, I didn't get a picture.  A single one of these is enough for three dinners for my wife and I.  For the third one, I felt the call of potato au gratin.  I focused my attention on a rich and complex sauce first.
 Then I cubed an assortment of Russets, Red, and Yellow potatoes.
 Mix them all together and bake for an hour and a half.  It looks like too much sauce, but it was soooo good!

 Wargaming

I finished enough Union soldiers for a battle of Altar of Freedom or Field of Battle 2.

 The Pendraken figures have a good variety of poses.
 Some cavalry and command stand.
 A better picture of the artillery.

These 28mm Front Rank figures took longer to paint.  This is a French cavalry unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...