Monday, June 8, 2015

Santa Cruz Half Marathon

Running

The Wednesday before the race my wife gets hit by a virus.  I make cioppino:

The next day I start to feel like one of the infected.  Friday I'm running a fever.  I won't run with a fever.  Running with a cold, or a little congestion is fine, but a fever is a no go for me. 

On Saturday we feel well enough to at least take advantage of our reservation at the Dream Inn in Santa Cruz.  

I'm no longer running a fever and begin to think I can run the race and get my surf board medal.

That night we go out to eat with my brother, and my sister-in-law at Laili's:
I go with some lamb:
Other dishes included kabobs, fish, and salad:



Normally I am able to line up some sort of pre-race caffeine and breakfast at a local business.  This time I just had the tea in my room plus a couple of granola bars.  

Running I definitely felt the effects of my infection.  The deep lung congestion, and coughing kept me from coming anywhere close to sub 9 minute miles.

Coming into the finish line:

2 hours, 4 minutes and 29 seconds, better than Monterey, but 10 minutes off my Modesto run.

Culinary

I decided to try making a pork terrine with a pork tenderloin center.  I started with some pork shoulder that I had preground the previous day, and then ground 10 ounces of back fat I had from our Berkshire pig.  All of this got pulsed through the food processor until relatively smooth.  I say relatively because, not having made this before, I wasn't sure what smooth was.  It was also a very thick mixture.  The recipe called for slices of white bread, I just have my wild dough bread these days, so I used that instead, but how big to make the slices?  The recipe also called for a ham garnish, but there was too much mousseline for it all to fit in the pan, so I passed on this option.  Here is the processed mousseline:
 The tenderloin was seared and then cooled in the fridge before being placed in the middle of the mixture:
 All wrapped up and ready for the hot water bath.
 The quenelle test:
 Out of the mold the next day.
 And slices of the final product:

It was very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wally

 Wallace at Stirling Bridge aka Wally, Footboy,  Booboo, Mister Blondie, Bubby, Knucklehead, Goofball, Salt to Poppy's Pepper. Age 12, b...